Bomag BW154 & BW174
The two road rollers BW154 and BW174 of the Bomag GmbH are research platforms for autonomous road compaction and robot collaboration. In a road production scenario, coordinating different autonomous construction machines such as road pavers, feeders, rollers, and trucks are being researched. As a paver requires a continuous mass flow, feeders and trucks must coordinate accordingly to ensure a steady supply. Likewise, a cooperation of the road rollers for the compression of the material occurs because the compression process is subject to high time and precision requirements.
As part of this, two road rollers were converted to fully autonomous systems and equipped with variable sensors for environmental awareness and surround safety. In addition to developing control concepts for the individual rollers, the lab researched complex cooperation solutions. Here, the systems benefit from the high bandwidths of a local "5G" communication infrastructure.
In addition to the development of real tandem rollers, virtual rollers use a powerful simulation engine. Accordingly, research approaches may run in advance with any number of cooperation vehicles. After successful simulation tests, a transfer of control software and validation takes place on the real platforms.
- Extending Skills of Autonomous Off-Road Robots on the Example of Behavior-Based Edge Compaction in a Road Construction Scenario.
Commercial Vehicle Technology 2020/2021. Proceedings of the 6th Commercial Vehicle Technology Symposium – CVT 2020/2021, (2021)
- Towards High-Quality Road Construction. Using Autonomous Tandem Rollers for Asphalt Compaction Optimization.
Proceedings of the 37th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction (ISARC), S. 90 - 97. (2020)
- Autonomous Coordinated Control of Tandem Rollers for Street Construction.
- Behaviour Based Control Strategy for Double Ackermann Steering Control of Bomag Autonomous Tandem Road Rollers.
- Distributed Coordination and Task Assignment of Autonomous Tandem Rollers in Road Construction Scenarios.
36th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction (ISARC 2019), S. 953 - 960. (2019)
- White Paper. High Quality Road Construction using 5G-AMMCOA. Autonomous Mobile Machine Communication for Off-Road Applications.
, S. 1 - 7. (2019)
- Auf dem Weg zur autonomen Straßenfertigung. Kooperation und Kommunikation von vollautoÂmatisierten Nutzfahrzeugen in der Baustelle von morgen am Beispiel von BOMAG Tandemwalzen..
CVC News, Vol. 1, S. 12 - 15. (2018)
- Behavior-Based Low-Level Control for (semi-) Autonomous Vehicles in Rough Terrain.
Proceedings of ISR 2018, S. 386 - 393. (2018)
- Behavior-based collaboration and distributed task assignment of autonomous tandem rollers in street construction scenarios.
- Cooperation and Communication of Autonomous Tandem Rollers in Street Construction Scenarios.
Commercial Vehicle Technology 2018. Proceedings of the 5th Commercial Vehicle Technology Symposium – CVT 2018, S. 25 - 36. (2018)
- Behavior-Based Cooperation Strategies for Construction Machines.