Daniel Lettler was born in 1983 and finished his final secondary-school examinations in 2002. After his civilian service he attended the University of Kaiserslautern from 2003 until he graduated with a degree in applied computer sciences (Dipl.-Inf.) in 2009.
He wrote his diploma thesis titled "Soil Simulation and Behavior-Based Control for Landscaping Tasks of an Autonomous Bucket Excavator" at the Robotics Research Lab.
Since June 2009 he was doing his Ph.D. in the context of automation of complex landscaping task of a mobile excavator for medium sized excavation sites and daylight mines. He has been working on the parallel particle simulation of material on GPUs, development of hierarchically ordered behavior-based system architecture, and algorithms for rating and planning within the highly dynamic area around the machines.
- Entwicklung eines Ultraschallsensorgürtels zur Kollisionsvermeidung von mobilen Robotern.
- Selbstständige Erstellung einer abstrakten topologiebasierten Karte für die autonome Exploration.
Autonome Mobile Systeme (AMS) 2005, S. 149 - 155. (2005-December)
- Entwicklung einer verhaltensbasierten Steuerung zur autonomen Exploration in strukturierter Umgebung von einem Indoor-Roboter.
- Autonomous Behavior-Based Exploration of Office Environments.
Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO), S. 235 - 240. (2006-August 1-5)
- Development of a sealing system for a climbing robot with negative pressure adhesion.
10th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR), S. 115 - 124. (2007-July 16-18)
- Map Learning and High-Speed Navigation in RHINO.
Nr. IAI-TR-96-3, (1996)
- Design and development of a sealing-system for climbing-robots.
6th National Conference on Mechanical Engineering (Gepeszet), (2008-May 29-30)
- Cromsci - A Climbing Robot With Multiple Sucking Chambers For Inspection Tasks.
11th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR), S. 311 - 318. (2008-September 8-10)
- The ADAPTIVE Communication Environment - An Object-Oriented Network Programming Toolkit for Developing Communication Software.
Proceedings of the 12th Annual Sun Users Group Conference, S. 214 - 225. (1994-June 14-17)
- Dynamic modelling and control of a mobile bucket excavator.
- Force and traction controlled propulsion of the omnidirectional climbing robot Cromsci.
12th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR) , S. 757 - 764. (2009-September 9-11)
- Soil Simulation and Behaviour-Based Control for Landscaping Tasks of an Autonomous Bucket Excavator.
- Simulation and Control of an Autonomous Bucket Excavator for Landscaping Tasks.
Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2010), S. 5108 - 5113. (2010-May 3-8)
- An autonomous excavator for landscaping tasks.
Proceedings for the joint conference of ISR 2010 and ROBOTIK 2010, S. 819 - 826. (2010-June 6-9)
- Feasibility Study for the Automation of Commercial Vehicles on the Example of a Mobile Excavator.
Commercial Vehicle Technology 2010 - Proceedings of the 1st Commercial Vehicle Technology Symposium (CVT 2010), S. 22 - 31. (2010-March 16-18)
- Simulating Vehicle Kinematics with SimVis3D and Newton.
Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Simulation, Modeling, and Programming for Autonomous Robots (SIMPAR’10), S. 156 - 167. (2010-November 15-18)
- Behavior-based obstacle detection and avoidance system for the omnidirectional climbing robot Cromsci.
13th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR), S. 73 - 80. (2010-August 31 - September 3)
- Programmierung mit LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT.
eXamen.press, 1. Auflage, Springer (2010)
- Omnidirectional Locomotion and Traction Control of the Wheel-driven Wall-climbing Robot CROMSCI.
Robotica Journal, Vol. 29, Nr. 7, S. 991 - 1003. (2011-December)
- Behavior-Based Adhesion Control System for Safe Adherence of Wall-Climbing Robots.
14th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR), S. 857 - 864. (2011-September 7-9)
- Behavior-based Arm Control for an Autonomous Bucket Excavator.
Proceedings of the 2nd Commercial Vehicle Technology Symposium (CVT 2012), S. 251 - 261. (2012-March 13-15)
- Generating Behaviour Networks from Finite-State Machines.
Proceedings of the 7th German Conference on Robotics (ROBOTIK 2012), (2012-May 22–25)
- Analysis of Sliding Suction Cups for Negative Pressure Adhesion of a Robot Climbing on Concrete Walls.
15th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR) , S. 813 - 820. (2012-July 23-26)
- Risk Prediction of a Behavior-Based Adhesion Control Network for Online Safety Analysis of Wall-Climbing Robots.
9th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO), S. 118 - 123. (2012-July 28-31)
- Advanced Motion Control for Safe Navigation of an Omnidirectional Wall-Climbing Robot.
22nd Conference on Autonomous Mobile Systems (AMS), S. 137 - 145. (2012-September 26-28)
- Safe Navigation of a Wall-Climbing Robot - Risk Assessment and Control Methods.
1. Auflage, Dr. Hut Verlag, Munich, Germany (2013-March)
- Examination of Surface Feature Analysis and Terrain Traversability for a Wall-Climbing Robot.
16th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR), S. 309 - 316. (2013-July 14-17)
- 3D Realtime Simulation Framework for a Wall-Climbing Robot using Negative-Pressure Adhesion.
10th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO), S. 184 - 191. (2013-July 29-31)
- Modellierung und verteilte Simulation eines autonomen Mobilbaggers.
Tagungsband Fachtagung Digitales Engineering zum Planen, Testen und Betreiben Technischer Systeme, S. 123 - 130. (2012-June 26-28)
- Safe Navigation of a Wall-Climbing Robot by Methods of Risk Prediction and Suitable Counteractive Measures.
26th International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), S. 2309 - 2314. (2013-November 3-7)
- Development and Applications of a Simulation Framework for a Wall-Climbing Robot.
26th International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), S. 2321 - 2326. (2013-November 3-7)
- Interconnection of the behavior-based control architecture and a detailed mechatronic machine model for realistic behavior verification of the Thor project.
Informatik 2013, (2013-September 16-20)
- Climbing Robots for Maintenance and Inspections of Vertical Structures Â A Survey of Design Aspects and Technologies.
Journal of Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol. 61, S. 1288 - 1305. (2013)
- Safety for an Autonomous Bucket Excavator During Typical Landscaping Tasks.
New Trends in Medical and Service Robots, Vol. 20, S. 357 - 368. (2014-April)
- Behavior-based trajectory adaptation based on bucket-volume estimation.
Commercial Vehicle Technology 2014 – Proceedings of the 3rd Commercial Vehicle Technology Symposium (CVT 2014), S. 347 - 356. (2014-March 11-13)
- CREA – A Climbing Robot with Eleven Vacuum Adhesion Chambers.
17th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR), S. 665 - 672. (2014-July 21-23)
- Friction Optimized Adhesion Control of a Wheel-Driven Wall-Climbing Robot.
17th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR), S. 259 - 266. (2014-July 21-23)
- 3D Realtime Simulation Framework for Wall-Climbing Robots - Towards the new Climbing Robot CREA.
17th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR), S. 559 - 566. (2014-July 21-23)
- Risk and Safety Aspects for Wall-Climbing Robots.
8th German Conference on Robotics (Robotik) , (2014-June 2-3)
- Cromsci - Development of a Climbing Robot with Negative Pressure Adhesion for Inspections.
Industrial Robot Journal, Vol. 35, Nr. 3, S. 228 - 237. (2008-May 13)
- Design of Safe Reactional Controller for Chamber Pressure in Climbing Robot CREA.
11th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO), S. 81 - 89. (2014-September 1-3)
- Construction Site Navigation for the Autonomous Excavator Thor.
Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Automation, Robotics and Applications, (2015-February 16-19)
- Estimating the absolute position of a mobile robot using position probability grids.
Proceedings of the national conference on artificial intelligence, S. 896 - 901. (1996)
- Real-time multi-platform pedestrian detection in a heavy duty driver assistance system.
Commercial Vehicle Technology 2016 – Proceedings of the Commercial Vehicle Technology Symposium (CVT 2016), S. 61 - 70. (2016-March 8-10)
- Sensor Data Representation A System for Processing, Combining, and Visualizing Information from Various Sensor Systems.
Commercial Vehicle Technology 2016 – Proceedings of the Commercial Vehicle Technology Symposium (CVT 2016), S. 71 - 79. (2016-March 8-10)
- Shaping the Future - A Control Architecture for Autonomous Landscaping with an Excavator.
RRLab Dissertations, Verlag Dr. Hut, München (2016)
http://www.dr.hut-verlag.de/978-3-8439-2816-8.html ISBN-13: 978-3-8439-2816-8
- Behavior-based Collision Avoidance using a Cylinder-Coordinate Octree.
Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Intelligent Autonomous Systems (IAS-14), (2016-July 3-7)
- The DLR C-Runner. Concept, Design and Experiments.
16th IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), (2016)